People of all walks of life apply to Seattle Area Pipe Trades, including some who don’t have direct experience in mechanical fields. 这是好的! We look for applicants who can demonstrate a strong work ethic, willingness to learn, and a positive attitude.
Minimum Program Requirements
• 18 Years of age or older
• High school graduate OR GED completion
• Resident of Washington State
• Physically capable of performing the work of prospective trade
A person can apply for an apprenticeship with us year-round.
We only give written applications to complete in person, Monday- Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
You must provide these 4 prerequisites to get an application:
1. Copy of a Valid United States Driver’s License
2. High School Transcript or GED test scores (NOT your high school diploma – you can contact the high school from which you graduated to request a transcript)
3. ONE of these three math options:
• Results from a community or technical college math placement test showing the ability to enroll in a Math 90 course or higher; OR
• If an applicant has successfully passed an Algebra class with a “B” grade or better, in high school or college, and within a year from the date of application, SAPT will accept this grade on a transcript. This includes college affiliated pre-apprenticeships such as ANEW, PACE, and PACT.
4. Results showing a negative NON-DOT urinalysis (5 or 10 panel) – this can be conducted anywhere, but we do require documentation (This test should be the last thing you do, as the results are only good for 15 days).
HVAC - Service Controls Technician/Refrigeration Mechanic Applications ONLY: Must provide a Washington State driving abstract showing no accidents or violations in the last 5 years.
Twice a year, qualified applicants are invited to complete a hands-on test. Hands-on-testing is held about one month before interviews are scheduled. Hands on testing measures dexterity, problem solving, math skills and strength, and includes:
• Using a tape measure
• Installing pipe in hangers
• Sorting fittings
• Climbing ladders
• Lifting and carrying pipe weighing over 50 lbs.
If you miss or are late to hands-on testing, you will forfeit the opportunity to interview. You may reapply to the program for future consideration.
You will get an interview date at your hands-on testing date. It will be followed up with a postcard. This date and time cannot be changed by the applicant.
Interviews are no longer than 15 minutes, and are conducted by a panel. This panel includes current apprentices, 教练, JATC成员, industry representatives and journeymen. Each representative will score candidates based on education, interests and attitude.
Applicants should expect to answer at least these 3 questions in an interview:
1. How did you hear about the Seattle Area Pipe Trades?
2. To which apprenticeship are you applying?
3. What does an apprentice in your chosen field do?
(This question is based on your answer to question #2, and should be a clear expectation of the type of work an apprentice does).
Directly after the interview concludes, all applicants need to check out at the front counter to complete a new apprenticeship application. This way the candidate will automatically be considered for the next round of testing and interviews should he or she not make it the first time.
The interview committees’ lists are ranked by scores and given to the Joint bte365娱乐线ship Training Committee for approval. When lists are approved, they are then published at our main office. Individuals accepted into the program will be contacted by a Training Coordinator. This process can take 4-6 weeks after interviews have concluded.
Once the limited apprenticeship spots are filled, we may have entry-level jobs called Helpers or Tradesmen to fill. This is the typical path into apprenticeship. It can help you gain direct skills and build professional references. We offer these positions as they become available.
To see how you placed, please check your ranking on our 申请人名单.
Do you have questions about our apprenticeship? 看看我们 Frequently Asked Questions 页面.